These pages have been copied from John Nichols History and Antiquities of Leicestershire Volume 3 Part 1. These were written in 1800 and form a valuable source of historic information. Were possible I have translated the old English into more modern spellings to make reading easier. However, there are some Latin paragraphs that defeated me or rather my computer. (If any Latin scholar cares to correct them I would be happy to receive the corrections!). The following words are not in common usage or their meaning has changed and I have given some definitions below:
appurtenances is a term for what belongs to and goes with something else, with the appurtenance being less significant than what it belongs to. Could for instance refer to a back-yard that goes with the adjoining house.
advowson is the right in English law of a patron to present to the diocesan bishop a nominee for appointment to a vacant ecclesiastical benefice or church living.
bordars a person ranking below villeins and above serfs in the social hierarchy of a manor, holding just enough land to feed a family (about 5 acres) and required to provide labour on the demesne on specified days of the week.
demesne a lord’s chief manor place, with that part of the lands belonging thereto which has not been granted out in tenancy; a house, and the land adjoining, kept for the proprietor’s own use.
feoffee is a trustee who holds a fief (or “fee”), that is to say an estate in land, for the use of a beneficial owner.
in capite denoted a person who held his lands under various forms of feudal land tenure directly from the king or territorial prince to whom he did homage.
sac & soc the right of a lord of a manor to hold a court and take the profits of that court.
s. p. (sine prole) died without issue
knight’s fee was a unit measure of land deemed sufficient to support a knight.
knight’s service was a form of Feudal land tenure under which a knight held a fief or estate of land termed a knight’s fee from an overlord conditional on him as tenant performing military service for his overlord.
messuages a dwelling house with outbuildings and land assigned to its use.
neatherd A cowherd; one who looks after bulls, cows or oxen.
native (Nativi) – Persons of servile birth.
mark 13s. 4d. (2/3 of £1, and a unit of account, not a coin)
moiety one of two parts of property ownership.
oxgangs is an old land measurement. It averaged around 20 English acres, but was based on land fertility and cultivation, and so could be as low as 15. Peter’s pence originally a voluntary donation by parishioners to the Church in Rome, but by the 11th century it had become a tax of 1d on each hearth. Abolished by Henry VIII in 1534.
ploughlands a measure of land used in the northern and eastern counties of England after the Norman conquest, based on the area able to be ploughed in a year by a team of eight oxen.
procurations annual cash payment made by a parish in lieu of paying for hospitality for a visiting bishop or archdeacon
seised synodals originated as a payment to the bishop made by clergy invited to an annual synod, to cover the cost of the synod, but became an annual cash payment of a fixed amount from the parish clergy to the diocese.villans A feudal tenant.
virgate or yardland is 1/4 of a hide, and a hide was the area which could be ploughed by a team of 8 oxen in a year (i.e. you are basically correct, but unless you have very sandy soil, 2 oxen would not be able to plough this much land as they are not strong enough to pull the plough).
Wilghes also call Willoughes a manor formally belonging to Lord Basset of Drayton, is in the parish of Ragdale
Page 264, Volume 3, Part 1
Anciently called Hahy, Habye, Houby, Howby, Houtheby, and Holbraoh, is 9 miles distant from Leicester, 7 from Melton; bounded by Thrussington, Rotherby, and Brooksby; and, in the ecclesiastical division of the county, is within the deanery of Goscote.
In the reign of Edward the Confessor, Uts held the lordship of Hobie, with sac and soc. It contained four ploughlands and two oxgangs, employed four ploughs, and was valued at two shillings. At the time of the general survey it was worth twenty shillings; and was held by Adelelm under Drogo de Bevrere. One plough was employed in the demesne; and eight villans, with four bordars, had another plough. There were six acres of meadow 1.
In the Testa de Nevill, Houby Gilebert is described as consisting of seven ploughlands and two oxgangs; Houby Trujfibot, one ploughland; and Houby Deivill one.
In the reign of King Henry III, William Basset of Sapcote had lands here, which he gave in frank marriage with Emma his daughter to Sir Robert de Grendon of Grendon, co. Warwick, knight; together with the homage and service of Sir Stephen de Segrave, knight 2.
William de Houby, son of Henry, and grandson of Waleran, conveyed to Stephen de Segrave and his heirs certain lands in Segrave 3.
In the Itinerary of 1280, Hoby, Thrussington, Rakedale, Wilghes, and Radclive, answered collectively as one village.
Hoby was afterwards the inheritance of the ancient family of the Houbys, who took their names from the place, and continued owners of it till it passed away with an heir female (as is showed in the descent) to James Beler of Kettleby Beler; one of whose granddaughters and co-heiresses, Joan, brought it to William Villiers, of Brokesby, esq; from whom it descended to Sir George Villiers, baronet.
“From the town of Hoby the ancient family of Hobies issued. It is seated near upon Wreake” 4.
Pedigree Of Houby
See also Lords of the Manor of Houby for more information on the predigree.
In 1301, it was found that Matilda de Houby held one knight’s fee in Houby of Henry de Nottingham; which Henry held the same of Thomas de Wappenburn, and of Thomas de Wassingle, Richard de Beyvill, and; William de Rivell; which Henry and Thomas, Richard and William, held the fame of John de Wake; which John held the same of Roger de Moubray, deceased 5.
In 1325, it was found that John de Segrave, deceased, and Christian his wife, held divers rents in Houby; also the advowson of the church of Houby, worth 24 marks; and that John de Segrave (son and heir of Stephen de Segrave, cousin of the aforesaid John de Segrave senior) was his next heir 6.
In 1346, Ralph Basset of Drayton (on the aid then granted for knighting Edward of Woodstock, the king’s eldest son) was assessed 10s for a quarter of one knight’s fee in Ratchliffe and Houby; Henry de Nottingham 10s. for a quarter of one knight’s fee in Thrussington, Ratchliffe, and Howby; Walter de Houghby 5s for half a quarter of one knight’s fee in Howby; and John de Milton 5s for half a quarter of knight’s fee; all parcel of the fees of Chester and Huntingdon 7.
Sir Robert de Grendon, knt. by Emma his wife, daughter of William Basset, obtained in free marriage all the lands of her father at Hoby, with the homage and service of Sir William de Segrave, knt. 8.
In 1349, Thomas Wake de Lydell held, at his death, one knight’s fee, with the, appurtenances, in Houby, which the heir of Robert de Freytheby held, value £12. And in the same year Henry Hillary at his death held nine virgates of land in Houby, then in the hands of 12 natives (nativi), of the heir of William de Ros, as of the castle of Belvoir, by the service of 2s a year for all service; and Edward Hillary, his son and heir, was then aged 26 9.
In 1352, Sir Walter Houby, knt. held, at his death, certain lands, tenements, and rents, in Houby, of Katharine, relict of Henry de Nottingham, by knight’s service; and John de Fritheby, son of Robert de Fritheby, was his next heir 10.
In the same year, William de Ros of Hamelake held, at his death, a quarter of one knight’s fee in Houby of the king in capite, which the heirs of Walter de Houby held; also a quarter of one knight’s fee in Houby, which the heirs of Thomas de Multon held; also the thirtieth part of one knight’s fee in Houby, which Robert under the Kirk held; also the moiety of one knight’s fee in Houby, which the prior of Quorndon held 11.
In the same year, John [Plantagenet] Earl of Kent, held, at his death, one knight’s fee, with the appurtenances, in Houby, late parcel of the inheritance of Thomas Wake de Lydell; which the heir of Robert de. Fretheby held 12.
In 1353, John de Segrave held, at his death, lands at Houby 13.
In 1358, John de Segrave 14 held, at his death, the advowson of the church of Houby;
1 “ Adelelmus tenet de Drogone [de Bevrere] 4 carucatas terræ & 2 bovatas in Hobie. Ibi fuerunt 4 carucæ. In dominico est 1 caruca: & 8 villanij cum 4 bordariis, habent’ 1 carucam. Ibi 6 aeræ prati. Valuit 2 solidos ; modi 20 solidos. Uls tenuit, cum faca & foca,” – Domesday, sol. 236, a. 1.
2 MS. Chetwynd.
3 Appendix to vol. II. p. 112.
4 Wyrley, MS. 1595.
5 Esch. 29 Edw. I. N° 47. Leic.
6 Esch. 19 Edw. II. N° 88. Leic.
7 Rot. Aux. 20 Edw. III.
8 Wadland’s MS note on Burton.
9 Esch. 23 Edw. III. pars 1, N° 75 & 82.
10 Esch. 26 Edw. III. N° 51 Leic.
11 Esch 20 June, 26 Edw. III. N° 53 Leic.
12 Esch. 26 Edw. III. N° 54 Leic.
13 Esch. 27 Edw. III. N° 69 Leic.
14 Sir William Dugdale, in his Baronage, vol. 1. p. 676, a. makes this last John de Segrave to have died in 23 Edw. III; but it is a mistake, by a transposition of the figures, 23 for 32.
Page 265, Volume 3, Part 1
and Mary de Segrave, his daughter and heir, was then aged 15 1.
In 1361, John de Moubray of the Isle of Axeholme, at his death, held one knight’s fee in Houby, which Thomas de Wake held 2.
In 1362, John de Fretheby, at his death, held the manor of Houby of Katharine lady of Thurssington, as of her manor there, by knight’s service; and Edward de Fretheby was his brother and next heir 3.
In 1373, Robert de Melton, clerk, granted a certain yearly rent of 80 marks, out of his manor of Houby, and all other his lands there, which he had of the gift of Sir Edward de Fretheby, knt. to William Sixtenbye, John his brother, and others, for term of life 4.
In 1375, Edward de Fretheby, knt. died seised of the manor of Houby, with the appurtenances, held of Katharine lady of Thrussington by knight’s service 5.
In 1399, it was found that Thomas Mowbray late duke of Norfolk held certain lands in Houby; also one knight’s fee there, with the appurtenances; and in the same year, that Margaret late duchess of Norfolk was seised of certain lands in Houby 6.
In 1406, Thomas Mowbray Earl Marefial died seised of certain messuages, lands, and rents, in Houby 7.
In a book of fifteenths and tenths granted by the laity in 1416, Hoby was rated at £2. 5s. 10d; and in the subsidy of 1445, at the same sum; but an abatement was then made of 2s.
The family of the Hetons, of Heton, co. York, seem to have had a considerable interest here; for, it appears that Anthony Howeby was accustomed to pay yearly the half £12 in rent, for the manor of Howeby, to William de Heton, of Heton, co. York, and Elizabeth (daughter of James Ozell) his wife 8. The reason of a family at that distance having concerns here must be Ozell’s daughter and heir; for, the warrant for the fine is against Elizabeth and her heirs, not against her husband and his heirs; so that Ozell either married a heir of Howby, or at least had lands in Houby 9.
In 1422, Anthony Howby died seised of the advowson of the church of Howby (value ten marks), held under John Burdet, esq. as of his manor of Thrussington; and Elizabeth wife of Thomas Segrave was his daughter and next heir 10.
In 1432, John Mowbray Duke of Norfolk died seised of the church of Howby, value 10 marks 11.
In 1461, John Mowbray Duke of Norfolk died seised of one knight’s fee in Howby, then held by John Beler, who afterwards founded a chantry in this church 12: ” Johannes Vyllers, de Fulnetby in com’ Lincoln’; armiger, &c. salutem. Cum Jasperus Ruslcyn, nuper de West Sutton, in com’ Leic’, gentilman, per feriptum suum relaxationis, cujus datum est 8° die Septembris, anno 22° Edwardi IV, mihi prefato Johanni & heredibus meis relaxavit totam propertam suam quam habuit feu habere potuerit in advocatione cantarie de Houby, cum mansione, capella, & gardino eidem pertinentibus, in com’ Leic’ predicto; ac totam partem suam in omnibus terris & tenementis scituat’ & jacent’ in villis & campis de Magna Dalby, Tyrlington, Bradley, & Bringhurst, dicte cantarie pertinentibus, ad intentionem quod ego predictus Johannes Vyliers & heredes mei inveniemus idoneum capellanum ibidem celebraturum in perpetuum, & ad perficiendam ultimam voluntatem Johannis Beler armigeri, & dicti Jafperi defuncti: Sciatis me prefatum Johanncm Vyllers conceffisse, & per hoc presens feriptum relaxasse me & heredes meos prefatum Jasperum & heredem suum ad inveniendum idoneum capellanum celebraturum in forma predicta, apud Howby predictam, pro animabus dicti Johannis Beler & heredum suorum, pro tenementis predictis, pro parte fua mihi conceff’; & etiam ad deiendend’, obfervand’, & conservand’ eundem Jasperum & heredes fuos pro eonceffione & relaxatione cantarie predicte indempnem versus Bartholomeum Vyllers, & alios executores testamenti predicti Johannis Beler, de quadam obligatione contineati in fe mille marcas, in qua idem Jaspero obligatus est eidem Bartholomeo & aliis ad perficiendam ultimam voluntatem predicti Johannis Beler. Ac etiam idem Jasperus concessit prefato Johanni Vyllers & heredibus fuis, per idem scripturn relaxationis, totam partem suam quam sibi con-‘ tigit evenire in omnibus terris & tenementis in Ingorefby de hereditate dicti Johannis Beler, prout in eodem scripto plenius continetur. In cujus rei testimonium, hiis scriptis indentatis predicti Johannes Vyllers & Jasperus sigiila fua alternatim appofuerunt. Dat’ quinto die Augusti, anno regni regis Bacardi Tertii post Conquestum Anglie setundo 13”
In 1564, there were 37 families in Hoby. Lionel Cranfield Earl of Middlesex, in 1623, married Anne, daughter of James Brett, esq. of Hoby, by Anne his wife, sister to Mary countess of Buckingham 14.
By the pedigree of Sheldon, it appears that Benjamin Weston married, about the middle of the last century, the daughter of Thomas Sheldon, of Hoby, relict of Christopher Viliers Earl of Anglesey, which Benjamin was the fourth son of Richard Weston Earl of Portland 15.
Lady Villiers was the only freeholder in 1630.
In 1655, there was collected in Hoby, for the relief of the poor Protestants in Piedmont, the sum of 14s. 2d.
Mr. Browne of Hoby was in 1720 a landholder at Lilburn, co. Northampton 16.
In 1722, five freeholders polled from this parish; and in 1775, we find ten names.
In an act passed in 1760, for inclosing the common fields in Hoby, containing about 1000 acres, Sir John Robinson, bart. and William Hewett, esq. are described as lords of the manor, and owners of two thirds of the lands; Henry Browne, clerk, patron and rector, and as such entitled to all tithes and other rectorial or vicarial dues; John Onton clerk, John Batson, William Morris,and others, proprietors of the residue of the lands. The said proprietors were entitled to the swap, or first math, of several parcels of ground in a meadow adjoining to the parish, called The East Morems; and Mr. Browne, as rector, to the tithe of the said swap. The rector’s allotment was made in lieu of all tithes and payments, except surplice-fees, a yearly modus of six shillings for a fulling-mill in Hoby, and two small pieces of meadow-ground near adjoining; a compensation also for tithes of a swap in The East Morenes, and for the ancient enclosures, called The Hall Close, Green Crest, The Cunnery, and Oddtson Close. The rector had also a farther allotment as a compensation for the bread and corn customarily paid by the occupiers of the common-field to the parish-clerk as part of his salary. For the convenience of the rector and his successors, The Hall Close, containing about 9 acres, with Garner’s garden and part of the widow Glover’s garden, were to be given in lieu of a part of his portion of the new allotment; and his portion was charged with the repairs of the chancel and customary taxes. Reservation is made of the rights which the rector of Rotheley, the widow Sherard, Edward Hutchinson, and John Seagrave, respectively, had to the swap of about three acres in The Austrean Meadow; of about an acre called The Bridge Pieces; of the right of the rector of Asfordby and the neatherd of Asfordby, respectively, to the swap of two acres, called The Moor’s Back, or Moor’s Bank; and of the right of George Wrighte, esq. to the swap of an acre called The Westerns, near adjoining to Brokesby mill.
“Mrs. Catharine Gregory, of Hoby, lately deceased, by her last will and testament, dated June 12, 1723, and proved at Leicester Sept. 16, 1727, gave and devised to the minister and overseers of Rotherby in the said county, and their successors for ever, and to her executors and trustees, and their heirs for ever, all that close in Rotherby aforesaid, known by the name of Wafe’s Lammas Close, in trust; that they apply the income thereof yearly for instructing the poor children of Rotherby in the Church Catechism; and also to find them books; and to have some of them, so instructed, put out to trades, as often as the rent will allow; and to let each child of the parish have a Bible when they leave school.
1 Esch. 32 Edw. III. N° 44. Leic.
2 Esch. 35 Edw. III. pars 2. N° 10.
3 Esch. 36 Edw. III. pars 1. N°7O.
4 Claus. 47 Edw. III.
5 Esch. 49 Edw. III. pars 1. N° 53.
6 Esch. 1 Hen. IV. N° 71 & 72. Leic.
7 Esch. 8 Hen. IV. N° 76. Leic.
8 Fin. 7 & 10 Hen. V.
9 Gaicoigne, MS note; ex evidentiis Johannis Gascoigue, baronetti, de B.irnebow, co. Ebor.
10 Esch. 1 Hen. VI. N° 6. Leic.
11 Esch. 11 Hen. VI. N° 43. Leic.
12 Esch. 1 Edw. IV. N° 46. Leic
13 Harl. MSS. 7178.
14 Dugdale, Bar. Angl. vol. II, p. 446.
15 Ibid. p. 461.
16 Bridges, I, 593.
Page 266, Volume 3, Part 1
The said Mrs. Catharine Gregory, by her said last will, save and devised unto the ministers and overseers of the poor of Hoby, and unto their successors for ever and unto her executor and trustees, and their heirs for ever, the sum of twenty pounds in trust; that they put out the lame, and apply the income thereof yearly to have the poor children of Hoby taught and provided for, as the poor of Rotherby are by her last will directed to be taught and provided for l .”
The return made to the House of Commons in 1786, in answer to an enquiry respecting the charitable donations in this parish:
|Money raised for the poor within the year ending Easter 1776||49||19||4|
|Expended in county rates, &c.||3||17||4|
|Expended the poor||37||5||6|
|Rent of workhouse and habitations||3||7||6|
|Expended in litigations||0||0||0|
|Money raised for 1783||78||13||4|
|Money raised for 1784||72||15||3|
|Money raised for 1785||66||17||8|
|Medium of these three years||72||15||5|
|Medium of county expenses||5||8||0|
|Medium of expenses not relating to the poor, repairs of the church, roads, etc.||0||0||0|
|Medium of net annual expenses||67||7||5|
|Medium of attending on magistrates||0||3||7|
|Medium of entertainments at meetings||0||3||4|
|Medium of law expenses||4||3||3|
|Medium of setting the poor to work||0||0||0|
Pedigree of CLERKE, of HOBY.
From the Visitation of 1683; entered at London, Dec. 1, 1683; (no arms produced, nor any to be found.)
Dedicated to All Saints, consists of a tower, in which are 4 bells; a plain stone spire; chancel answering the nave, from which it is separated by a screen; and two aisles, separated by four lofty arches, over which are clerestory windows; all leaded. The bells are thus inscribed:
1. ” A. B. C. E. F. 1”
2. + Newcombe of Leicester made me, 1604.”
3. ” Come, and pray; come.”
4. ” Coelorum Christe, Platiat tibe 2 Rex, sonusiste!—1613.”
The font is octagon, with one kneeling step; fig. 9 below. In the chancel are a piscina and a locker, and the remains of two stone seats.
The following arms are on painted tiles here; fig.10—12.
. . . . . a fess between six cross crosslets, Beauchamp.
……..a fancy ornament.
In the East window of the North aisle (fig. 13, 14.):
fig 13. Gules, three lions passant guardant in pale Or. England.
fig 14. Azure, fretty Or, between each frett a fleur de lis of the second.
Mr. Burton also mentions these other arms in this church, fig. 15—27.
fig 15. Gules, three ducal crowns Or, 2. and 1, St. Edmund king of the East Angles.
fig 16. Argent, a cross Gules, St. George.
fig 17. Azure, two chevrons Or, Chaworth.
fig 18. Or, three piles Gules, a canton Ermine, Basset.
fig 19. Quarterly, Argent and Gules, in the second and third quarters a frett Or, over all a bend Sable, Spencer.
fig 20. Gules, a fess Vaire between three leopards’ faces jessant of fleurs de lis Or, Cantelupe.
fig 21. Azure, a bend between fix mullets Argent, Houby.
fig 22. Argent, on a bend Azure, three mullets of the first, Wenard of Cornwall.
fig 24. Argent, a cross between two annulets Vert, one in dexter chief, and the other in sinister base; Kirkby.
fig 25. Per pale, Gules and Sable, a lion rampant Argent, Beler. This remains in the second window from the bottom, on the North side of the nave.
fig 26. Quarterly, 1. and 4, Beler; 2. and 3, Azure, a bend between six mullets Argent, Houby.
fig 27. Crest, a cock’s head, Gules.
fig 28. Sable, a fess between three cinquefoils Argent, Villers ancient; impaling Beler.
Mr. Wyrley notices here, ” a fair glass monument wrought in mail. On his mantle, Sable, a lion rampant Argent, crowned Or, fig. 29; written, 3:In the South aisle hath been a chantry. In 1210,” Hobertus de Ros, corsensu Alani de Hoby, presentavit ad ecclesiam de Hoby 4.”
In the Matriculus of 1220 5, Hoby is described to be in the patronage of William de Ros; the rector G. instituted per qumdam legutum.
The Segrave Chartulary notices a grant from William de Ros to Stephen de Segrave and his heirs, of the advowson and patronage of the church of Hoby, to be held of him and his heirs by homage and fealty 6.
In 1344, the procurations were, 5s. 6¾d ; the rectory was taxed at 20 marks, and paid 3s for Peter-pence. The then patron was John de Segrave.
In 1534-5, the procurations and synodals were 10s.8d.; and the value of the rectory £31.; and Thomas Bingham, the chantry-priest, had a pension of £5. 6s 8d.
In 1642, the patronage of the church of Hoby was in controversy between Charles Lord Berkeley and Sir George Villiers, bart. 7
“Oct. 9, 1644. Referred Edward Smith, minister, etc. to the Assembly, for the cure of the church of Hoby.
“Dec. 23, 1646. Whereas the rectory of the parish church of Hoby, in the county of Leicester, is and standeth sequestered by the Committee of Parliament for the said county, from Thomas Rawson, for his delinquency, to the use of Edward Smith, a godly and orthodox divine; this Committee do confirm the said order; and do therefore order that the said Mr. Smith do forthwith officiate the cure of the said church as rector, and preach diligently 8.”
In 1650, the rectory was returned worth £100; and the incumbent as sufficient.
The Rev. Richard Coxe, who died rector in 1713, was also patron; and, by his daughter, the rectory came by marriage to the Brownes.
The present value in the king’s books is £22. 8S. 9d. The Episcopal procurations are, 5s.; the archidiaconal, 11s. 0.¾d; redd’ 6d.
The wake is now kept on the Sunday next after the feast of All Saints.
1. From a printed paper, hung up in the chancel at Hoby.
2. Ita ; pro ” placeat tibi.”
3 This probably was placed here in honour of Gilbert de Segrave, bishop of London 1315-1317; of whom, and of his family, an account will be found under the parish of Segrave, John Nichols History and Antiquities of Leicestershire .
4 Burton, MS.; ex Rot.ecclesiæ deLincoln, apud Lincoln, 10 Hen. III.
5 See the John Nichols History and Antiquities of Leicestershire Introductory Volume, p. lx.
6 John Nichols History and Antiquities of Leicestershire Appendix to vol. II. p.112.
7 MS. Buctoa.
8 From the original Minute-book of the Committee of Sequestrations, preserved in the Bodleian Library.
Page 267, Volume 3, Part 1
Rectors and Patrons
|Stephen de Heydon, an accolyte.||Robert de Ros, with content of Alan de Hoby|
|Stephen de Kirketon, clerk, 1220||Prior and convent of Laund.|
|Robert de Merton, died 1274.|
|Walter de Merton, presbyter.||Prioress and nuns of Eton.|
|Thomas de Russelon, died 1278.|
|Robert of Leicester, subdean, 1278.||Sir Nicholas de Segrave.|
|George Heneage, 1534.|
|Richard Smyth 1 1562.|
|William Read, died 1617.|
|Matthias Scampton, 1617—1640.|
|John Rhodes 2, 1640.|
|Thomas Rawson 3, M. A. July 6, 1642.|
|Edward Clarke, 1662; died 1696.||Sir George Villiers, knt. pleno jure.|
|Richard Coxe, Jan. 30, 1696; died 1713.||Himself the patron.|
|Andrew Burnaby, 1713.||Mrs. Cox 4.|
|Robert Browne, 1722; died 1732.||John Coxe, clerk, and Robert Browne, gent.|
|Henry Browne, brother to the last, 1732—1743.||Robert Browne, gent.|
|Henry Browne, son of Robert, 1742—1784.||Himself the patron.|
|Henry Browne, nephew to the last, March 22, 1784.||Himself the patron.|
See also Register on Ministers for a more up todate list.
In the nave, on an alabaster stone, is cut with a chisel a large figure of a woman (probably the Blessed Virgin), and, underneath, the figures of a woman, and at her feet one son and three daughters, all kneeling and praying to it; with this inscription:
“Here lieth the body of Marie wife of John Sharpe; who deceased …5 day of march, in the peace of our Lord God 1566; on whose soul Jesus have mercy, amen.”
On another plaster stone there, a man, a woman, and a child, kneeling and praying; with this inscription:
” Here lieth the bodies of Anthonye ………and Margery his wife;
which Anthonye died the second day of February, 1588. Anthonye who was buried the…..of January, 1581.”
On a stone in the chancel-floor, within the rails: “Richard Coxe 6, late rector of Hoby, departed this life Dec. 23, A. D. 1713, in the 42nd year of his age.” On the same stone: ” Here lieth John his son, who dyed Nov. 13, 1717, in the 19th year of his age. Remember thy Creator in the days of thy youth, before the evil days come.” “ Sarah Coxe, relict of the above said Mr. Coxe, who departed this life the 30th of April, anno Dom 1734, aged 69.”
On another stone there : ” Here lies the body of Mrs. Emma Gale, third daughter of Thomas Waze, of Rotherby, gent.; who departed this life Nov. 4, 1714, in the 64th year of her age.” On the same stone: “Here also lieth the body of Mrs. Catharine Gregory, second daughter of Thomas Waze, of Rotherby, gent; who departed this life Sept. 12, in the year of our Lord 1727, in the 80th year of her age.”
On a flat stone in the chancel: “Here lies the body of Mr. ROBERT BROWNE, late rector of this parish (and Brampton in Northamptonshire). Ob. Aug. 21 Salut. 1732, aged 50. Here also lieth the body of Mrs. ANNE the wife of the late rector Mr. ROBERT BROWNE. Ob. July 21 , Salut. 1743, aged 46. “Here lieth the body of Mr. John-Coxe Browne, son of Robert and Anne Browne. Ob. Jan. 15, an. Sal. 1781, aged 60. Henry son of Mr. John-Coxe Browne and Alice his wife, died March 31, 1759, aged 3.”
In the nave:
“Here lieth interred the body of Mr. Thomas Watts, late of Hinckley in this county; who departed this life 7 Jan. 1765, aged 70.”
“Sacred to the memory of Matthias Palling, late of the City of London, esq. merchant; who departed this life the 22nd of October, 1785, aged 73.”
“Here lieth interred the body of George Palling, who departed this transitory life the 15th day of May, in the year of our Lord 1779, and in the 6oth year of his age. Here are also deposited the remains of Elizabeth relict of the above said George Palling; who departed this life May 7, 1785, in the 70th year of her age.”
In the South aisle, or chantry, are two stone seats.
On a large slab of fine grey marble, in the South aisle, are the effigies of an armed knight and his lady in brass ; but the brasses containing the inscriptions, and those at the four corners which contained the arms, are all torn off. (See fig. 28.)
On a white marble monument on the South wall; “Near this place lies interred the remains of Mrs. Sarah-Anne Standley, relict of Thomas Standley, gent. of Leicester, and daughter of the Rev. Robert Browne, rector of this parish. She died of the small-pox September 7, 1792, aged 67 years.”
In the North aisle:
“Will. Henton died 27 Nov. 1718, in his 78th year.”
“Damaris, wife of William Henton, died July 24, 1708, in the 58th year of her age.”
“Thomas Henton, son of William and Damaris Henton, died April 28, 1729, aged 59,”
1 In the Certificate referred to under Allexton, John Nichols History and Antiquities of Leicestershire, Mr. Smyth is thus described: “Presbyter, non conjugstus; competenter doctus; refidet; hospitalis; deget ibidem; non licentiatns, nee prædicat; nullurn aliud habet”
2 “James Squire, curate to Mr. Rhodes, who, after two years possession, was cast out by Mr. Rawfon” Parish Register.
3 It appears, by his memorandum in two places in the Register, that he was afterwards restored and died in 1662. See next page.
4 Whose daughter married Mr. Robert Browne, afterwards rector, who died in 1732, leaving a son in his minority. The
rectory was held 11 years by Mr. Henry Browne, uncle to the young man.
5 The exact d. y was never put in.
6 This inscription notwithstanding, the said Mr. Coxe was not buried here, but at . . . . in Gloucestershire, where he died.
Page 268, Volume 3, Part 1
“Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Henton, died Feb. . . . . 17 . . . aged 67.”
“Mary, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Henton, grand-daughter of William Henton, died Nov. 4, 1742, aged 20.”
“George Henton, son of Thomas and Elizabeth, died April 3, 1758, aged 31.
“Anne his wife, April 12, 1783, aged 50.”
“Jane, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Henton, died June 10, 1743, aged 20.”
“Alice, daughter of Thomas and Joanna Henton, died May 24, 1790, in her 29th week.”
” In memory of Samuel Pike, the late schoolmaster of this parish; who departed this life March 29, 1785, aged 72 years.”
In the church-yard:
On a table-monument, on the South side of the chancel:” Here lieth the body of Edward Clarke, late rector of this parish; who departed this life November the 10th day, in the year of our Lord 1696, aged 81.”
On a mural tablet at the East end: “Near this place lies Richard Pick, who died Sept. 20, 1719, aged 80; and Elizabeth his wife, died July 20, 1731, aged 88. Catharine their daughter died April 27,1727,aged 37; and James Pick their son, Jan. 2, 1738, aged 53.”
On various upright stones:
Anne, wife of Dan. Alsopp, died July 1,1760, aged 71.
William Beeby, Dec. 24, 1761, aged 73.
Anne, wife of John Paling, Feb. 14, 1725, aged 53.
James Paling died June 9, 1721, aged 44.
Elizabeth his wife, June 24, 1741, aged 64.
Robert Paling, Dec. 4, 1762, aged 61.
Sarah his wife, March 9, 1747-8, aged 49.
James Paling, Jan. 5, 1760, aged 57.
Dorothy his wife, Sept. 22, 1780, aged 77.
Thomas Paling, Oct. 20, 1771, aged 50.
Rebecca his wife, Dec. 5, 1758, aged 42.
Henry Willows died Dec. 2, 1761, aged 81.
Bridget Wilbourn, 28 Dec. 1777, aged 55.
Thomas Wilbourn, Feb. 6, 1795, aged 63.
Thomas Hickling, April 20, 1757, aged 55.
Elizabeth Hickling, 18 Dec. 1784, aged 78.
Thomas Henton, July 17, 1757, aged 60.
George Henton, 30.April, 1711, aged 82.
Elizabeth wife of George, May 12, 1682, aged 50.
William Henton, 15 May, 1786, aged 49.
Alice relict of Thomas Henton, 18 Jan. 1783, aged 82.
Joseph Henton, 16 May, 1767, aged 61.
Joseph Henton, 15 Jan. 1787, aged 43.
William Henton, Oct. 19, 1727, aged 66.
William Willows, senior, 5 July, 1782, aged 67.
Mary his wife, 22 Jan; 1762, aged 45.
Catharine, second wife, 9 Jan. 1789, aged 85.
John Allen, 23 Jan. 1778′, aged 77.
Elizabeth Allen, 21 April, 1778, aged 70.
“Thomas Rawson, M. A. was admitted to the rectory of Hoby July 6, 1642. He had married Lydia the daughter of Sir Roger Nevison knight; a gentlewoman whose education was suitable to her birth and quality; and who lived with him in a manner no way beneath it, until the breaking-out of the rebellion; at which time he was forced to abscond, to avoid the miseries of a prison. They soon after put his living in sequestration, and appointed one Smith to succeed him; who, being denied the possession of the parsonage house by Mrs. Rawson, got a party of horse from Leicester, which, by force, in a barbarous and inhuman manner, dragged her out of the house, and turned her into the church-yard ; and for some days and nights she and her family lay in the church-porch and belfry, until Mr. Needham, rector of Rotherby, having notice of this sad and deplorable condition of Mrs. Rawson and her children, gave them leave to dwell in the parsonage of that living. But, not long after, Mr. Needham himself falling under the same calamity of sequestration, the miserable woman, with her numerous family, was turned out of house and home a second time, and forced to lie in the church porch at Rotherby, as (she had before done at Hoby. However, at length (she was admitted within the doors, and lived in some part of the church (possibly in the belfry here also), where they put up blankets for a screen betwixt the family and the congregation. In this habitation she continued for some time; and then Sir Thomas Hartopp gave them leave to dwell in some out-houses belonging to a tenement which he had in Rotherby; where they had no stairs, but went to the upper rooms by a ladder; and where they entirely subsisted upon the charity of their neighbours and some other friends, who sent them relief. They had no less than nine or ten children, which were too many to be long maintained in that manner; and they were at length reduced to the provision which the law had made; and, in plain words, brought to the parish of Hoby, not for habitation only, but for relief and maintenance. Here then Mrs. Rawson was put into a very mean house, and had but one pitiful room for her whole family. After which, the parish bound out one of her children to a lace-maker. Two more of them were taken off at length, and tabled at the charge of some of her friends, in a widow’s house of the parish, for eight pounds a year; Sir Henry Hudson of Melton Mowbray kept two more of them; and other two were boarded with one Matthias Wolfe, lace-man with whom the other brother was apprentice, but at whose charge we know not. One piteous and unhappy child likewise, whose name was George, being lame, was forced to be put into the hospital by the parish. It may well be thought, that, even after Mrs. Rawson was eased (if we may so call it) in this manner from the burthen of most of her children, yet the remaining part of her afflictions could not but sit very heavy upon a person who had been born and educated as ihe was. But, before the children were thus taken off from her, their miseries were inexpressible. Let the rest part be guessed at by this one instance: ” There are at this time (says Walker in 1714) or were very lately living, some who have seen Mrs. Rawson and her children stand round a sieve of horse-beans, eating them by handfuls: to those they had not any bacon (butter, to be sure, they could have none in the sieve); nor, as far as I can guess, had they so much as a bit of bread with them; and, as to the new-fashioned platter in which they were served up, ’tis certain they had not a pewter dish left them, nor, if I mistake not, a dish or a spoon of any kind; not so much as a wooden bowl, much less was there a table, chair, or stool, in the house. And therefore, as the extremity of misery necessitated them to feed on what was proper for brutes only, so they were forced to take their food in the fame manner, even from the ground. A gentlewoman, who was one of the beholders of this sad spectacle, added, when she related this story, that tongue could not express the hardships they underwent. And, to complete the miseries, Mrs. Rawson had, if I judge aright, four or five children born under these calamities consequent upon the sequestration; and, for want of necessaries, died either in, or soon after, childbirth of the last of them. Tis said she was laid of the 14th child. However, ’tis certain she had two at least under her miseries; one with which she was big when she was dragged first out of doors; and the other with which (he died. How Mr, Rawson disposed of himself during the time that his family lay under those miseries, I cannot learn. I find he lived to the Restoration, and was re-possessed of his benefice; but did not live long enough to reap a year’s profit. He was a worthy good man, and very well beloved by those who knew him.” Thus far from Mr. Walker’s Sufferings of the Clergy, p. 345.
Let it be added, however, that it appears by the Journals of the House of Commons, ” that Lydia, wife of Mr. Thomas Rawson, minister of Hoby, obtained a fifth part of the profits of the parsonage in 1645.”
Page 388, Volume 3, Part 1
Additions to Hoby:
Anciently called Hobye, Houby, Howby, and Houtheby, is ten miles distant from Leicester, and six from Melton; bounded by Thrussington, Shoby, Rakedale, Frisby, Rotherby, and Brokesby; divided from the three last by the Wreke.
About the year 1785, the skeleton of a human body was discovered in digging for gravel at the edge of this lordship, opposite to a shepherd’s cottage, and very near the boundary of Rakedale. The place was within about ten yards of the high road which leads from Hoby to Rakedale. Previous to the enclosure of Hoby this must have been a dreary and solitary spot; and conjecture prompts to believe that some traveller had been destroyed and buried by the inhuman perpetrator of the deed. When Earl Ferrers went to see the gravel or rather sand-pit (which it afterwards proved), only the skull was remaining; the labourers had either thrown the crumbling bones into the carts with the sandy gravel (which they took to mend the road), or had disposed of them otherwise. From the skull being rather of a small size, he is inclined to believe it was that of a female. The appearance of the skull indicated its having lain there many years. Enquiries were made in the parish, if they remembered to have heard that any person was missing in that neighbourhood; but none of the inhabitants had a recollection of any circumstance that could elucidate the above conjecture.
In the year 1791, Sir George Robinson, bart. sold the greatest part of his property here, which he inherited from an heiress, of the Villiers family of Brooksby; viz. four farms; one of which, about 163 acres, was purchased by the present earl Ferrers (who has since also purchased the land-tax on this farm); another, tenanted by William Willows, was purchased by himself; a third, tenanted by ‘Thomas Henton, purchased by himself; and the fourth, tenanted by George Alsop, was bought by Peter has argue, esq. of …….. in Lincolnshire. Sir George Robinson still retains the manor, and a fishery on the Wreake; upon which river he has a mill, which is quite out of repair.
A part, called Hoby New-fields, is claimed as a separate manor by George Wrighte, esq. to whom Brooksby belongs, to which lordship it adjoins, and to which parish it belongs.
There is a mound in a flat meadow near the river, part of earl Ferrers’s farm, which the inhabitants (for some unknown reason, if there ever was any) call Robin Hood’s Barn: it appears to be one of those mounds which the Romans threw up to mark their marches to the rear of their legions.