63rd Royal Naval Division
Following the outbreak of war, a brigade of four infantry battalions was formed from men of the Royal Marine Light Infantry and Royal Marine Artillery who were not required for service aboard ship. These included both regular active-service Marines as well as those mobilised from the Fleet Reserve. Each battalion was drawn from one of the major naval depot ports – Chatham, Portsmouth, Plymouth, and Deal and was named accordingly. It was envisaged that this force could be used by the Admiralty to help secure and defend forward ports for naval forces.
Shortly afterwards, it became apparent that there was still a large surplus of mobilised manpower in the Navy itself and a decision was taken by Winston Churchill then First Lord of the Admiralty to form eight battalions in two Naval Brigades, which would join with the Marine Brigade to produce a composite Royal Naval Division. While a few petty officers and ratings were transferred from the Navy to provide a cadre, and some officers were provided by the Army, the recruits were almost entirely reservists or men who had volunteered on the outbreak of war. The eight battalions were named for past naval commanders Drake, Benbow, Hawke, Collingwood, Nelson, Howe, Hood and Anson and later numbered 1st to 8th. The division as a whole was not provided with support arms, there were no medical, artillery, or engineer units and consisted solely of lightly equipped infantry.The RND retained the great naval traditions, even while on land. They flew the White Ensign, used bells to signal time, used naval language (including “going ashore” and “coming on board”), continued to use naval ranks rather than army equivalents and sat during the toast for the King’s health. Attempts to convert the RND to conform to army practices were tried but were generally unsuccessful, especially an attempt to disband the RND in 1917 which was thwarted by the influence of the First Lord of Admiralty, Sir Edward Carson. The RND was disbanded in 1919 after an inspection and address by the Prince of Wales.
Ref: Wikipedia; Royal Naval Museum