Lords of the Manor of Houby (now Hoby)

de Beauvierre (Domesday) Ulf son of Tope
Adelelm circa 1086
Anschetil de Houby circa 1141
Anketil de Houby
Sir Alanus de Houby – c.1222

de Houby coat of arms

de Houby coat of arms

Sir Gilbert de Houby – c.1296
Sir Walter de Houby

Sir Gilbert de Houby = Maud de Kirkby, sister and co-heiress to John, Bishop of Ely in 1286 and later, Chancellor of England.

The Kirby coat of arms (right) with the variant as shown on the Villiers shield

The Kirby coat of arms (left) with the variant as shown on the Villiers shield (right)

Sir Anthony de Houby -1345-1422 (“who bore his [King Henry V] armour to the warres of France” – specifically Agincourt.)
Thomas de Sutton als Houby (via Alice de Houby – brother of Anthony de Houby)
Sir Roger Beler (via Elizabeth de Houby who died in 1427)

Sir Roger Beler

Sir Roger Beler

Their grand daughter and heiress, Joan. Her paternal arms (Beler quartering Houby) as seen in the church frieze would have been borne as a lozenge.

Beler quartering Houby

Beler quartering Houby

Joan married William Villiers of Brokesby and the Manor remained with the Villiers’ family until 1702

Villers ancient

Villers ancient

Villiers modern

Villiers modern

and as shown on the arms of the Duke of Buckingham. Most of the coats are found in Hoby Church frieze.
Picture17Sir John Robinson Bt of Cranford & Stretton Hall, co. Leics. – one-time Sheriff of Northampton.

Sir John Robinson Bt

Sir John Robinson Bt

A William Hewitt Esq. is also mentioned 1760

They were “squires” whose place was effectively taken by the Hentons, Farmers of Hoby.

Henton sale details

Henton sale details

Thomas Henton was buried at Hoby on 17 June 1831 and his property was advertised for sale in the Leicester Journal on 23 September. The Manor of Hoby was part of the estates included in the advertisement. In the event, no buyer was found and the Manor was eventually included in an auction of his estate held at the Blue Bell on 31 August 1835. The Pagets must have bought it then or at some point thereafter because there is documentary evidence that they owned it in the 1850s.

Paget of Ibstock, Humberstone and Thorpe Satchville. (George Paget – the Leicester banker)

Paget of Ibstock

Paget of Ibstock

The Pagets of Ibstock owned it until Lord Paget of Northampton died in 1990 (Reginald Thomas Guy des Voeux Paget. The name Guy commemorated his famous ancestor who founded Guys Hospital in London) The trustees of Lord Paget – the Earl of Verulam, Sir Nigel Seely Bt and George Hammond (solicitor) – signed the two transfer deeds.

Mr Sydney Brewin MBE 1998 – a chartered accountant.

Mr David Adkins 2006 – a member of an old farming family from Staffordshire,

Dr Bernard Juby – December 2013 – after a lapse of nearly 600 years the Manor returns to a member of the original family. Dr Bernard Juby with the Arms of his wife, Pamela, née Lines

Juby with Lines in pretence

Juby with Lines in pretence