|The copyright of the contents of this Church Record is held by The National Association of Decorative and Fine Arts Society Ltd operating under the name The Arts Society of 8 Guilford Street, London WC1N1DA. No part of this Record may be reproduced, in a retrieval system or transmitted by any means, electronic or mechanical, photocopying or otherwise, without the prior permission of The Arts Society and Hoby Parish Church.|
All Saints Hoby Miscellaneous Key: 1 Description 2 Material 3 Date 4 Measurements 5 Artist 6 Maker 7 History 8 Donor 9 Memorial Inscription 10 References
The condition of items in this Section appears to be satisfactory unless otherwise stated.
800 PIPE ORGAN Phs BASE OF BELL TOWER
1 Case: the organ is set within the base of the bell tower facing east down the central aisle. It is enclosed in an oak-panelled case. The front pipe display consists of a central group of nine metal pipes flanked by a pair of three pipes. The central group is arranged in ascending height from the sides, as are the two groups of three pipes. All have straight mouths set in an A pattern. In the centre of the bottom of the frame of the case is a 9·5 x 4cm white label screwed to the cross brace which reads S. TAYLOR LEICESTER (the name of the organ builder).
The console is protected by a wood cover of three hinged boards which, when raised, fold and are slotted into a recess above. When closed, the lid is secured by a brass lock and key
An oak music desk which has four brass retaining clips sits above the keyboard. An oblong oak-framed mirror is suspended from a hook on the right hand side of the music desk. Over its centre there is a small electric strip light, the operating switch for which can be found in the top right hand corner of the console together with the switch for the blower.
The blower at the rear of the organ case was supplied by J.H.Taylor Ltd. No1210 Type D. At the rear is a hand-operated bellows lever.
Console: this is integral with the organ and has a single manual of 33 white keys and 23 black keys made from ivory and ebony, respectively. The keyboard is linked to the pipes by a series of mechanical trackers.
Stops and couplers: above the keyboard is a straight row of nine stops, the knobs lettered in gothic caps and l/c, some initials red and otherwise black.
|to Pedals||16 ft||& Mixture |
Pedalboard: this is a flat wood radiating pedalboard which has 30 pedals, giving it a compass of CC to f1. The pedals are beechwood. There are three foot-operated metal stop levers in the pedal well and a wood pedal in the right hand corner.
Organ bench: oak bench with plain top with rounded edges. The seat lifts to give access to a storage space. The front consists of four carved panels.
2 Case: oak-panelled. Foot pedals: beech. Knobs and keys: ivory and ebony. Pipes: round, gilded zinc and square wood. Stops: blue felt lining, oak shanks. Bench: oak.
3 1875-6. (ref a)
4 Case: h. 400 x w 230 x d. 205cm (height estimated) Manual: overall width 87cm. Music desk: h. 54 x w. 67cm. Framed mirror: h. 19 x w. 12cm. Bench: h. 65 x w. 27 x l. 136cm.
5-6 1875-6 – S. Taylor, Leicester (ref b). 2007 – Refurbished by Peter Collins, Organ Builders of Melton Mowbray.
7 The Leicester firm of organ builders, S Taylor and Son, 1866-1965, was responsible for the building of many fine organs in Leicester and Leicestershire churches, of which Hoby is one which remains in working order. Framed record of costs and payments for the Hoby organ, 1875/76, by Rev. Gilbert Beresford, totalling £143.12.6. (Organ £132.0.0. and organ stool 18s.6p.) The framed document is suspended from a hook on the wall to the right of the organ case. (See Paintings etc 507).
The organ was refurbished by Peter Collins, Organ Builders of Melton Mowbray and rededicated at a service held on 16th May, 2007.
10 a) Framed document suspended from a hook on the wall to the right of the organ case. (See Paintings etc 507).
b) National Pipe Organ Register report N04539 (www.npor.org.uk)
801 TOWER-CLOCK Phs TOWER
1 The clock is of side-by-side birdcage construction with a wrought iron frame held together by screwed bolts. There are two trains, the going train and the striking train which strikes the hours. The clock mechanism rests on a stout oak frame which is itself supported by four posts, one on each corner. The whole structure is anchored to the tower wall by a square sectioned wrought iron bar. The clock hammer strikes the tenor bell.
The circular clock face is located on the south wall of the tower. It is approximately 1000cm diameter, painted blue with gold roman numerals. The hands are covered in gold leaf, as are the minutes, marked by 60 small round knobs.
The tower clock is accessed through a locked door at the base of the tower outside the church. A spiral stone staircase leads to the ringing chamber from the ceiling of which can be seen the bob end of the clock pendulum. A fixed wooden step ladder ascends, through a trap door, to the clock room.
2 Circa 1700, restored 2004 (ref a)
3 Wrought iron, oak, brass, gold leaf, steel wire, rope
4 Birdcage: h. 58 x w. 34 x d. 71cm. Oak frame box: h. 50 x w. 36 x d. 175cm. Four corner posts: h. 86 x w. 8 x d. 5cm
7 The clock was restored by English Clockmakers, Biggin-by-Hulland, Ashbourne, Derbyshire, in 2004. Hoby Church Records hold an invoice for the work, dated 15.10.2004, for the total sum of £2,632.00. (ref a) Alan Morris winds the clock by hand.
10 a) Hoby Church Records
802A FLOORING Phs NAVE & AISLES
1 The whole of the nave and aisles areas covered by pews is paved with oak wood tiles laid in herringbone pattern. The flooring is divided into separate areas delineated by 9cm-wide oak strips between the nave pillars. Below the central nave walkway is a brick-lined tunnel which houses a now-redundant coal-fired furnace and pipework to heat the church. This construction is covered by twelve Victorian patterned cast iron grilles. The pipework continues into the chancel and through to the vestry to be vented by a brick and stone chimney, now partially removed. The nave grilles are covered with an underlay and a long strip of red carpeting. In the short space between the grilles and the chancel steps, inlaid into the herringbone oak tiles, is a mahogany cross, crosslet fitched. The remaining floor area of the nave is covered in bare concrete, apart from the space occupied by the organ, choir stalls and font.
2 Oak tiles, oak strips, mahogany inlays, cast iron grilles, concrete.
3 1904 (ref a)
4 Wood tiles: l. 30·5 x w. 10cm. Grilles: l. 59 x w. 59cm. Inlaid cross: l. 152 x w. 79cm
5-6 Mr A.E. Belton and Mr T. Hazlewood (ref a)
7 In spring 1900 a felled oak, given by the vicar, the Rev. Edward Aden Beresford, was cut into planking and used to refloor the body of the church by Mr Bosnett of Frisby at a cost of £171.5s. In 1911 the previously sawn wood was cut into brick shapes and the restoration of the church floor was undertaken by Mr A.E.Belton, who was paid £38.18.3, and Mr. T. Hazlewood, who was paid £45.15.8. (ref a)
10 a) Official Parochial Register 1899-1910.
1 The chancel was extended and rebuilt in the 19th century. Areas are paved with encaustic tiles in brown and cream patterns. Tiles are of a regular size, 15cm square, laid both square and diagonally. There is a decorated metal grille between chancel and vestry.
2 ‘Plastic clay’, metal.
3 19th c (ref a)
4 Area in front of the altar: l. 46 x w. 254cm. Between choir stalls: l.136 x w. 20cm, l. 500 x w. 200cm. Grille: l.180cm x w. 60cm.
6 Minton & Company. (ref b)
7 Tiles laid when chancel was rebuilt in 19th c. The patterns feature the medieval designs which Minton & Co reproduced. (ref b)
10 a) Church Guide b) Kenneth Beaulah & Hans van Lemme, Church Tiles of the Nineteenth Century, Shire Library p 82,
1 The vestry floor is covered by oak tiles similar to those in the nave except that they are laid in straight lines, north to south. There are three cast iron grilles of similar size and pattern to those in the nave and at the entrance to the chamber which cover the redundant heating system.
803 THREE CERAMIC FIGURINES Phs CHANCEL & S AISLE
1 There are three ceramic figurines in the church:
a) Madonna and Child. This is set on a stone shelf in the sedilia of the Lady Chapel in the south aisle. The Madonna wears a coronet, from which falls a white veil. She wears a cream robe with blue mantle. She holds the sleeping Christ Child against her left shoulder. He wears a white robe. On the base of the figurine is inscribed: SEDES SAPIENTIE (sic) (translates as ‘The Seat of Wisdom’).
b) St Francis. This is placed on a window sill in the easternmost window of the south wall of the south aisle. He wears a brown Franciscan habit and holds a bouquet of roses and two doves. His feet are bare. The stone base is inscribed with his name, S. Francesco d’Assisi.
c) Christ. This little statue stands on the window sill of the south wall of the chancel. It is all ivory-coloured apart from a square brown base. It shows Jesus displaying His sacred heart with a flame above and glory rays all round, representing the power of Christ’s love to overcome death.
3 20th c
4 a) h. 52cm, base l. 14 x w. 13cm. b) h. 75cm, base l. 20 x w. 18cm. c) h. 30cm, base l. 7·5 x w. 7·5cm.
804 THREE CERAMIC FIGURES Phs VESTRY
1 In the vestry there are three ceramic figures, two of the magi and a third of a shepherd boy.
(a) a dark-skinned king wearing a turban and green gown, carrying a gift.
(b) a bearded king wearing a long brown gown and carrying a gift
(c) a shepherd boy carrying a lamb around his neck and a blanket on his shoulders.
3 20th c
4 a) h. 53 cm b) h. 54cm c) h. 45cm
7 A gift to All Saints, Hoby, 2007 (ref a) 8-9
10 a) Church Property Register
805 SPACE HEATERS
A There are two electric space heaters, Model FF29, Serial Numbers 83731 and 85913, each of nominal output 29kw. One is located near the north door, the other in the chancel. Both are on castors with flexible leads so that they can be connected to a number of power sockets within the church. Dimensions: h. 56cm x w. 45 x d 68cm
B A 2-bar electric heater is mounted on the wall of the south aisle.
806 THREE FIRE EXTINGUISHERS
A To the right of the south door, bracketed to the wall, is a 2kg carbon dioxide fire extinguisher. Alongside of this on the floor is a 9 litre water apparatus.
B By the north door, on the floor is a 9 litre water extinguisher.
C In the ringing chamber of the bell tower is a 2kg carbon dioxide extinguisher.
All extinguishers, A, B and C, supplied by Commercial and Avon Fire Protection Service. Last serviced in November, 2018.
807 EMERGENCY FOG HORN, FIRST AID KIT, HEALTH & SAFETY BOX W WALL
Adjacent to the fire extinguishers to the right of the south door, placed on a bench against the west wall of the church is an emergency fog horn in a red plastic container. Under the fog horn is a green plastic container (30 x 24cm) holding a first aid kit. Placed nearby is a blue plastic box (20 x 32cm) containing two torches, and 5 Marshall armbands.
808 DISPLAY BOARDS N and S AISLES
1 Three freestanding boards are by the south door at the west end, each board having double-sided panels supported by adjustable metal poles. Another freestanding board by the north door has three double-sided panels and a further board, wooden- framed, also has double-sided panels and stands behind pews in the north aisle.
2 Metal, felt, wood
3 21st c
4 h. 89 x l. 59cm. Wooden-framed board: h.120 x l. 82cm
809 CLEANING MATERIALS VESTRY & N AISLE
1 A metal ‘Victor’, Europa, 400 high speed floor cleaner, manufactured by Dowding and Plummer of Birmingham, is situated in the vestry and in the north aisle is a metal Henry Hound electric cleaner, 230v 1200w max manufactured by Numatic International Ltd., Chard.
In a cupboard on the west wall of the north aisle is a collection of cleaning materials including dusters, 3 brush and pan sets and several canisters of spay polish.
810 VASES N AISLE
A number of assorted vases in glass, ceramic and plastic are situated in a cupboard on the west wall of the north aisle. One is a 1920s/1930s, ceramic Art Deco vase (h.20cm) in vivid colours with Cydonia, the pattern name, written on the base. The manufacturer, James Kent, became a limited company in 1913 and continued as such until 1981.
811 AMPLIFICATION SYSTEM VESTRY
The 20th c Megamouth Portable System, manufactured by Pulse Audio, contains a recorder/player unit and has three microphone options, a headphone socket and can be mains or battery powered.
812 ELECTRICAL SUPPLY S AISLE, S wall
The main supply enters the church to the right of the south aisle door. The meter is the property of E-on. The supply cabinet contains the following fuses: organ, lights lady chapel, porch, behind organ, lights chancel and vestry. Tower lights have sockets. A metal circuit box is on the wall adjacent to the meter cabinet. There are six light switches above the meter cabinet and four light switches in the chancel. There is a separate switch for the ceiling flood light. In the vestry there is a double lighting switch on the north wall. There is a double power socket to supply supplementary heating and for use with the cleaning machines.
There are two wall-mounted spotlights on each side of the chancel, situated at the top of the stone walls. Two further spotlights, fixed to the top of the rood screen, are set to illuminate the timber chancel roof.
Three pendant lights on each side of the nave, each consisting of three electric bulbs on a metal ring, are suspended by three wires from metal wall brackets above the arcade piers.
C S AISLE
Two lamps, each of two bulbs, are suspended from metal brackets on the south wall of the aisle, similar to those in the nave.